Monday, August 4, 2008

Bread Recipe

Well I made French bread again. Greg told me that I HAD to put the recipe on the blog for others to try since he loved it so much. So here it is.

1 cup warm water
1 package active dry yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup veg oil
1 Tbsp white vinegar
3-4 cups bread four
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 egg white, slightly beaten

Dissolve yeast in water. Stir in sugar, oil, vinegar, salt, and 2 cups of flour. Beat at low speed with electric mixer for 1 minute, and then on high for 2 minutes. Stir in flour until you can't stir any more. Knead dough on floured surface. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover and let rise until double. Punch dough down. Roll dough down to 9" x 12". roll up to be a 9" x 4" . Place on greased baking sheet (I use my stone) and brush top with egg white. Cut 3 slits diagonally across the top of loaf. Let rise in warm area for 30 minutes. Bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. (You can also sprinkle sesame seeds on top before baking) (My bread was done at 20 minutes)

To make Garlic bread: Cut slices of french bread and place open face on baking sheet. Spread butter on each slice. Sprinkle salt, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese on each slice. Broil 3-4 min till cheese browns.

2 comments:

ari said...

Ooh...I am SO glad that you put this on. I will be trying it. I'm not really much of a baker, but hey, with a little patience, maybe. (Me, patience? Who am I kidding!) Thanks!

Deirdra said...

I am printing this and trying it. I always love a new recipe. YUMMY!